Thursday, October 29, 2009

[mompowergroup] Digest Number 214

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: What should happen to this mother... From: Boosutherland@aol.com
1b.
Re: What should happen to this mother... From: kandace rodgers
2a.
Re: sleepless nights From: Frank Schoch
2b.
Re: sleepless nights From: Dom Massage
2c.
Re: sleepless nights From: Marion Thornton
2d.
Re: sleepless nights From: Frank Schoch
3a.
Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good! From: raising3kidz
3b.
Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good! From: raising3kidz
3c.
Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good! From: Shannon
3d.
Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good! From: Mike
3e.
Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good! From: michele lobback
4a.
Re: Been there & I didn't leave my kids alone From: Shannon
5.1.
Re: Just wondering where everyone is from? From: heatherclark.jp4me
5.2.
Re: Just wondering where everyone is from? From: Sharyn Fitzpatrick
5.3.
Re: Just wondering where everyone is from? From: Denise Stuart
5.4.
Re: Just wondering where everyone is from? From: Deb Gibson
6.
Holidays From: Terri Miller
7a.
Re: Schools not noticing sick children/My Flu Experience From: Marion Thornton
8.
Healthy Recipes for Kids From: heatherclark.jp4me
9a.
Re: exhausted by trying to eat right From: Mike Stark
10a.
Re: Schools not  noticing sick children From: Jackie Razzi
11a.
Re: Hi, I am new to the group From: Alica Uhlir
12.
exhausted by trying to eat right.. act like you have diabetes... rea From: ArunKVir@aol.com
13.
Halloween treats From: Kirstie H
14.
swineflu update From: Katalin Gÿffffe1l

Messages

1a.

Re: What should happen to this mother...

Posted by: "Boosutherland@aol.com" Boosutherland@aol.com   boosutherland

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am (PDT)



I agree with you Lorena, This in itself is a punishment...I just wrote a
almost the same thing you are saying...It's not like she went out, left the
babies alone and intentionally killed them! It's truly devastaing all the
way around. I just heard that the second child died??? Is this true?
1b.

Re: What should happen to this mother...

Posted by: "kandace rodgers" kandacer_6@yahoo.com   kandacer_6

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm (PDT)



What is the "story" I would like to look it up, please.

Kandace Rodgers

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, Boosutherland@aol.com <Boosutherland@aol.com> wrote:

From: Boosutherland@aol.com <Boosutherland@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [mompowergroup] What should happen to this mother...
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 5:47 PM

 

I agree with you Lorena, This in itself is a punishment.. .I just wrote a almost the same thing you are saying...It' s not like she went out, left the babies alone and intentionally killed them! It's truly devastaing all the way around. I just heard that the second child died??? Is this true?

2a.

Re: sleepless nights

Posted by: "Frank Schoch" fschoch@ymail.com   fschoch@ymail.com

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am (PDT)



Hi Sarah, yes usually he sleeps very good. He was just at the Dr's& everything was good. I will call the Dr though to have him checked out. I have had a child who had ear infections quite often, I didn't even think of that thank you very much.
  Karen

________________________________
From: Sarah Frandy <snau525@yahoo.com>

Hi Karen, I have 16 month old twins who are great sleepers most of the time. Is your son a good sleeper most nights? One night one of my girls went to bed okay and woke up shortly after screaming her head off. This went on for hours so we took her to the emergency room bc she seemed like she was in pain. It turned out that she had an ear infection! She had no symptoms, ie pulling of the ear or fever. Our dr said that if a baby is sleeping ok and suddenly wakes up screaming 9 times out of 10 it is an ear infection. Maybe have him looked at.

2b.

Re: sleepless nights

Posted by: "Dom Massage" dom_massage@yahoo.com   dom_massage

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 am (PDT)



Hello Karen & lil Frankie, -- ok, everyone - brace yourselves, this turned out to be a long one... and hopefully useful in 1 way or another:
 
ok, I'm a 29yo single mom of a highly energetic girl (my only child) - who is now 2yrs and 2 mths old.
 
I've had sleepless nights THE ENTIRE TIME I've had my daughter!  ...well.... ONLY if I put her down to sleep earlier than SHE wanted (or her body clock allowed)
 
I'm a nocturnal night owl myself, so perhaps my child took on that ...gene? (maybe someone here has an answer to this...by the way)
 
ok, here are a few things to consider from a parent who faces the same ordeal as you do:
 
is Frankie breastfed? (mine is ....STILL... and refuses to fall asleep at night without "titi" as she calls it; although her daytime naps w/gramma are "titi"-less and usually pain-less LOL)
 
if he's not breastfed, warm milk before bed.... (he's 1 now, he can have it - organic milk is THE way to go, I learned! It doesnt even upset MY stomach, all while regular store milk has done for YEARS. My daughter obviously prefers breast milk, but the HORIZON WHOLE MILK w/Vitamin D that we give her -  she really enjoys it and drinks more than other brands) ---- the carton is red and has a cow on the cover---- and for $3.99 for a 1/2galon carton, seems like a small price to pay for a happy child!
 
re: bath ---- what amazes me is that sometimes water wakes my daughter up, and she runs around the room as if I bathed her in red bull LOL ...........SO, try to skip bath 1 of these nights and see what happens.... perhaps he's one of those little people who gets awakened by water, not sleepy. Fact is, water is meant to rejuvenate us - so I never understood why we bathe babies before sleep.
 
*however, if you REALLY feel the need to clean Frankie, you can soothe him w/a warm moist towel (big gentle circular and up/down strokes all around his little back, tummy, armpits, arms, legs - and dont forget to massage his hands/feet w/your warm hands and cloth --- it soothes children very well; and then get another clean, moist, warm cloth and light, big strokes on his little face at the very end, and wipe his eyes from keeping them open and focused all day, which will actually make them heavy and tired, as the warm sensation sets in over his eyelids) ---- dont forget to immediately wipe the wetness from the cloth w/a warm DRY towel b/c his body will get cold in a matter of seconds!  ---- this whole process helps my daughter calm down and she immediately starts yawning.
 
SING TO HIM. very lightly, quietly, just above a melodic whisper.
 
ROCKING doesnt always help - UNLESS your child is used to it all the way from day 1. we never rocked my daughter, so she doesnt understand it, thus dislikes it. It bothers her. What helps though is:  LIGHT TAPPING W/4 FINGERS ON THEIR BACK or tummy, depending on which way they lay. We started tapping while putting her to sleep, purely by accident, and now she grabs our hand and taps herself on her back --- and taps us in return. It's VERY soothing. (I even tapped myself lightly in a repetitive manner on MY back, and almost fell asleep - it's very nice)
 
ok, what else... OH, ...CLOTHING! the 1st time I had put on full-body pajamas on my daughter, she was ...almost a year, I think. she screamed half a night til we all realized that it's more than OK to just dress her in a light-cotton tshirt (she actually prefers tank top) and just diapers. NOTHING ELSE. And when I try to cover her w/a cotton sheet at night so she doesnt get cold, she wakes up. AMAZING!! (truth of the matter: kids prefer to sleep in colder temperatures than hotter - it's a fact)
 
and last, but definitely MOST IMPORTANT which you may find useful in your situation: try this tonight ------- DONT put him down as early as you usually put him to sleep. Yes, sounds crazy, and most parents reading this right now will probably think I'm nuts. BUT ...IT...WORKS. My daughter, since day 1, has fallen asleep around 1am. I tried EVERYTHING! And nothing worked. Even to this day, if she falls asleep earlier than (it's TWO AM now, can you believe it??), like lets say, 10pm - she will DEFINITELY wake up for "titi" and if I miss the window of opportunity to put her right back to sleep, which is usually as quick as 3 minutes, she will keep me up, running around the house, til 3am, until SHE can't take it anymore.
 
so, i'm not saying put Frankie to sleep at 1am, but try about 30-50mins later than his usual sleepy time - and his body will grow so tired that he will give up himself....and YOU, mama, will get your full night's rest!  --- staying up w/your child for an extra hour (just like that expensive organic milk) is a tiny price to pay for a full night's REST for your whole family!!!
 
I surely hope at least 1 of these helped! if not, PLEASE, I encourage you to write me back, and I WILL help you find a solution, the way I found mine.
 
And Frankie falls asleep tonight and lets you sleep - Karen, your homework is to write me tomrw with the reviews. I'll be waiting!
 
P.S. ice is a good one for teething, but it never helped my daughter. She hated it. I heard that frozen chicken leg helps other children too, but it never helped mine either.
 
PPS. if none of these work, I will give you advice on the best essential oils you can use to soothe your child. He is now 1yo - and you can start using oils on children since 6mths of age.
 
 
 
 

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, myspiritsoar <myspiritsoar@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: myspiritsoar <myspiritsoar@yahoo.com>
Subject: [mompowergroup] Re: sleepless nights
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 10:59 AM

 

Hi Karen, This is what I use to do to find out maybe if this is the probllem. Teething can be so painful and they can't tell you. My sons all started teething around 9months. I would get a clean wash cloth wrap a piece of ice in it and try letting them suck on it and go around there gums. If that seems to sooth him then that could be the problem. Bless his little heart, you know how we feel when we have issues of the teeth. NOT GOOD. Blessings to Little Frankie and MOM

--- In mompowergroup@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank" <fschoch@... > wrote:
>
> Good Morning ladies,my name is Karen,I have a 1 year old son,his name is Frankie. We have been having a problem with sleepless nights.Last night everything was going great,we had dinner,his bath then Frankie fell asleep,not an hour later he woke up screaming,I thought maybe he was having a nightmear,so I cuddled him until he fell back to sleep,a half hour later he woke up again this time it was a lot worse. The time is 8:30pm well he was up screaming until 3:30 this morning.I don't know if it was a nightmear,a stomacheache, or teething. I tried everything I know to figure out what the problem was with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions to help my little man & I get some sleep I would be completely greatful.HELP mom can't go with no sleep for much longer
>

2c.

Re: sleepless nights

Posted by: "Marion Thornton" mthornton667@gmail.com   thorntonmarion74

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 am (PDT)



He may have an ear infection. My daughter would not ever sleep thru the
night when she had one. Check it out with the doc, any other signs, tugging
at his ears, fever?
Marion

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Frank <fschoch@ymail.com> wrote:

>
>
> Good Morning ladies,my name is Karen,I have a 1 year old son,his name is
> Frankie. We have been having a problem with sleepless nights.Last night
> everything was going great,we had dinner,his bath then Frankie fell
> asleep,not an hour later he woke up screaming,I thought maybe he was having
> a nightmear,so I cuddled him until he fell back to sleep,a half hour later
> he woke up again this time it was a lot worse. The time is 8:30pm well he
> was up screaming until 3:30 this morning.I don't know if it was a
> nightmear,a stomacheache,or teething. I tried everything I know to figure
> out what the problem was with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions to help
> my little man & I get some sleep I would be completely greatful.HELP mom
> can't go with no sleep for much longer
>
>
>
2d.

Re: sleepless nights

Posted by: "Frank Schoch" fschoch@ymail.com   fschoch@ymail.com

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm (PDT)



I want to thank you for taking the time to write all of this for me,I will deffinatly try all of it to see what will work. I am so tired its unbelievable. I will let you know what happens with each thing I try

________________________________
From: Dom Massage <dom_massage@yahoo.com>

I've had sleepless nights THE ENTIRE TIME I've had my daughter!  ...well.... ONLY if I put her down to sleep earlier than SHE wanted (or her body clock allowed)

I'm a nocturnal night owl myself, so perhaps my child took on that ...gene? (maybe someone here has an answer to this...by the way)

ok, here are a few things to consider from a parent who faces the same ordeal as you do...

3a.

Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!

Posted by: "raising3kidz" loribrock1967@yahoo.com   raising3kidz

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am (PDT)



HI!

I can definitely relate to TOO MUCH GOING ON! It can be overwhelming at times.

1st with the cholesterol, my husband has it by hereditary. He is average height and thin, so you wouldn't guess he would be so unhealthy. I remember researching at the library on books on high cholesterol. Try a couple of cook books. It isn't difficult to adjust, just takes a little time to gain new knowledge.

About the vaccine, I would definitely weigh this one out. My husband works for the health department and his department manager told them NOT to take the vaccine. He said there are vitamins that can prevent it better with less health risks involved.

Thoughts and Prayers,
Lori

3b.

Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!

Posted by: "raising3kidz" loribrock1967@yahoo.com   raising3kidz

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am (PDT)



Thanks for the recipe!

I plan to use it this week. Did it come from a particular cookbook? I noticed the herbs, would you know what herb to replace basil with? I recently found I have an intolerance for basil ~ go figure! It is something that the cookbook I have uses in a lot of recipes.

Thanks,
Thoughts and Prayers,
Lori

3c.

Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!

Posted by: "Shannon" sharayrenee@yahoo.com   sharayrenee

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am (PDT)



I am not sure about the vac myself either but on the paper I received from school it stated not to get the nasal(with live virus) if you have asthma, So if it were me I would not get it, my school said they were getting the nasal 1st and didnt know when they would get the shot.

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, crystal <crystallayne1959@yahoo.com> wrote:

Well i have to say the cholesterol meds are some of the worst to be on...take garlic and try homeopathic ways first!...a walk around the block or 3 or 4 is much better for you!...and if my child also would not let him take H1N1 shot! give vitamins multi and C and airborne is goos also...if resistance is down!...and teach to wash hands alot boys are the worst for that!...google for info on puter!!!!knowledge is POWER!...and you can go to foodnetwork .com and put in what ur r looking for and get lots of recipes!
Good Luck!
Crystal

3d.

Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!

Posted by: "Mike" mike@stark.co.za   planecrazy_sa

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:44 am (PDT)



Hi KathyK

Firstly, apologies if I don't get this reply right - I am using my husband's laptop until I get more used to the internet.

Cholesterol, not hereditary type, is definitely controllable with diet and exercise. However, they main problem is to work out the best food to eat, and not be sentenced to a life of salad !!! We have been using a software product that gives us all the information we need on the food we are going to eat. It also helps when you go to the Dr. with repots showing what you have eaten.

I am trying to control high BP, cholesterol and sugar levels.

Hope this helps
Charlotte

Oh, by the way, I am from South Africa

--- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com, KathyK <cvwomn@...> wrote:
>
> First of all, thank you for sharing, I hope it felt good to get a few things off your chest (sts). Second, it is Not your fault!!! Did you place the food in your husband's mouth and make him chew and swallow? Chances are you cook the things you both enjoy eating? Check out the Mediteranean (sp, sorry) Diet; basically, lots of veggies and fruits, lean meats, not much starch - potatos, breads, pastas, leave most things 'white' out of your diet and lose the buttery sauces. I've had to go on it, too, and I'll tell you it is not fun for the first few weeks. But after that, if done right, your bodies will lose the craving for carbs, sweets and other 'bad' stuff. Start walking, baby steps, remember. Good luck. You can (both) do it.
>  KathyK
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: marylobb39 <marylobb39@...>
> To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tue, October 27, 2009 6:30:22 PM
> Subject: [mompowergroup] Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!
>
> Hello ya'll hope everyone is doing good, as for my family It has hit hard, so I got a bunch of questions,here goes:
> First of all my husband had a Dr. apt ( yes he is one of the types who NEVER go) anywayshe has had shortness of breath and chest pains, pain in his arm, all the classic sighns of heart attack, he goes inthe office and his heart rate is 43, EKG is not rightand he starts to have chest pains in the Dr,\. office, he of course goes to ER, gets admittted and goes throuh a series of tests, he has high cholestrol and gets put on meds, etc.. so i guess here is my question, How do I cook healthy, Im kinda oldfashion, I cook everything , gravy, meats, burgers, you know the good stuff that isn't good for you.. I know this is my fault but I don't know how to cook healthy.. PLEASE HELP!!  and then this, my son has asthma, and right now he is taking a neb treatment, ,school sent a notice that they are giving the h1n1 vac, don't know bout' that either, everything is so confusing... UUGHH !!!
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

3e.

Re: Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup ~ eem eem good!

Posted by: "michele lobback" hmlobback@yahoo.com   hmlobback

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:20 pm (PDT)



Hi Lori -
 
I sometimes substitute Oregano or Thyme.  Just use whatever your liking is.
 
ENJOY!!

Michele Lobback

 

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, raising3kidz <loribrock1967@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for the recipe!

I plan to use it this week.  Did it come from a particular cookbook?  I noticed the herbs, would you know what herb to replace basil with?  I recently found I have an intolerance for basil ~ go figure!  It is something that the cookbook I have uses in a lot of recipes.

Thanks,
Thoughts and Prayers,
Lori

4a.

Re: Been there & I didn't leave my kids alone

Posted by: "Shannon" sharayrenee@yahoo.com   sharayrenee

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 am (PDT)



I too was a single mom of TWINS, it was hard they did go to daycare when I worked but other then that I didn't have a regular sitter, I did swap sitting with a friend and whenever my mom would visit I would make any runs I could.  I had many friends to chastise me because I never went out and left my kids with just who ever, I always felt that I had to work 5 days a week and missed out on a lot I wanted to spend as much time as I could with them.  Also I don't just trust anyone with my kids so it was hard to find someone I trusted enough, it still is even though I am now married to a wonderful man who has become their "daddy" since their real one don't want spend time with them.
 
I hate tragedy that involves kids the is senseless and could have been prevented.  I see kids all the time younger then my 7 year olds running the streets by themselves and wonder about this next generation of these children that are left at such a young age to fend for themselves and given so much freedom.  As I watched the news about Somer in Fla it made me so sad she is the same age as my girls, and to think that she couldn't even walk home from school with older siblings without a sick ***** getting her, scares me to no end.  I am in no way blaming her mother, kids walk home from school all the time and she had older siblings with her, but even with all the monitoring of sexual predators our children are still vulnerable and need to be kept close.
 
Shan

Image by FlamingText.com

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, zackandambersmom <rachelle@cox.net> wrote:

From: zackandambersmom <rachelle@cox.net>
Subject: [mompowergroup] Been there & I didn't leave my kids alone
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 12:04 PM

 

I was a single mother for most of my 2 children's early years. My eldest is 13 now, and I'm remarried, and I still have someone watch them if we plan to be out past 9:30.
Their father, my first husband, walked out when my youngest was 20 months. And before then he was either sleeping or never there during normal hours.
When I was by myself, I didn't have anyone, not anyone, to watch them on a semi-regular basis outside of work hours (8-5:30). No relatives, no one I could depend upon. This lady had a sister!! One of them should have been at home with the babies.
I remember a meager shopping trip for Easter basket stuff. I hid the stuff and got the salesperson to ring it up out of the kids sight. Shopping for clothes? for me? That just didn't happen very often. If it did, my children were with me.
When I had to take a few night classes for renewal hours, I called upon a church friend to watch them until 9:15 p.m. twice a week.
Being a parent is hard. It's inconvenient. Being a single parent is harder. I'm not military, but I also empathize with those whose spouse's are deployed. It's almost the same situation as I was in, and you are usually living in a city away from your family.
If what the media says is true, then this is for Marilyn Wilson: Those food stamps are for your dead nephew and his brother in the hospital, not for you. I hope DES cancels the account.
As far as the mom goes, who is to judge? Is this what her family taught her? Is this what her peers do? Is she a young mother? If so, does Tennessee give teen mothers parenting classes? Does anyone have any common sense anymore?
If she's anything like her sister is (according to the media), then she can go to prison; and hopefully there is someone out there that can rear the boy who cares for him and does have some sense. If this is the case, he'd be better off.

5.1.

Re: Just wondering where everyone is from?

Posted by: "heatherclark.jp4me" heather@fruitnut.org   heatherclark.jp4me

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am (PDT)



Sharyn,
I am so sorry to hear about your husband and your situation. I have friends who have gone thru this same thing last year. It is hard for everyone.
One thing I have noticed is, when you think it's more than you can handle, that's when your true strength shines thru. You really can do it and your kids NEED you to be able to do it.
I believe only those people are given challenges that they would be able rise above. I also believe something GOOD comes from something BAD - Every time. :) Keep smiling. I'm thinking of you.
Heather

--- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com, Sharyn Fitzpatrick <sharyn@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am Sharyn and I also live in CA - Northern. I have a ten year old special needs child. Unfortunately, I am a recent widow - my husband died of cancer earlier this year. So, I am struggling with this single parent stuff.
>

5.2.

Re: Just wondering where everyone is from?

Posted by: "Sharyn Fitzpatrick" sharyn@marcomgurus.com   sharyn_fitzpatrick

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am (PDT)



Hi, Sheri and all the others who sent me notes.

My son, Zachary is ten years old and has multiple diagnoses.

From: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sheri
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:01 AM
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [mompowergroup] Re: Just wondering where everyone is from?

Hi Sharyn, my name is Sheri, I too am a Special Needs mom. My six year old son, Dillan, was born with Spina Bifida. He is in the first grade, doing well. You did not mention what the Special Need was that your ten year old has, but if you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Sheri

--- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mompowergroup%40yahoogroups.com>, Sharyn Fitzpatrick <sharyn@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am Sharyn and I also live in CA - Northern. I have a ten year old special needs child. Unfortunately, I am a recent widow - my husband died of cancer earlier this year. So, I am struggling with this single parent stuff.
>

5.3.

Re: Just wondering where everyone is from?

Posted by: "Denise Stuart" dscoldwellbanker@sbcglobal.net   dscoldwellbanker@sbcglobal.net

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 am (PDT)



Hello Sharyn,
I am also in Northern California. Let me know if you live near to Silicon Valley.
 I would love to help you out. I am a mother of 5, 3 being triplets. I love children.
 
Denise Stuart
Coldwell Banker

--- In mompowergroup@ yahoogroups. com, Sharyn Fitzpatrick <sharyn@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am Sharyn and I also live in CA - Northern. I have a ten year old special needs child. Unfortunately, I am a recent widow - my husband died of cancer earlier this year. So, I am struggling with this single parent stuff.
>

5.4.

Re: Just wondering where everyone is from?

Posted by: "Deb Gibson" dlgibson@alliancecom.net   kagomesdaughter

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 am (PDT)



Hi Sharyn,I'm Deb and new here also. I am sorry for your loss. I have been a single parent all my 16 yo special needs daughter's life.....but it still gets hard sometimes.
Deb
6.

Holidays

Posted by: "Terri Miller" terri_miller54@yahoo.com   terri_miller54

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am (PDT)



I leave Friday Morning on a ten hour trip to visit my son and new DIL and celebrate my Daughter birthday on Halloween. Started this week on Holiday baking, and planning. Next Weekend my husband's aunt and uncle are visiting from D/FW area. Since we will not be seeing them for the holidays. I am going to give their gifts and Christmas baked goods/fudge basket to them on their visit. I am also making the main dishes for meals while they are here as my MIL is not able to cook meals anymore.

This year my Son and DIL and husband's family will be having Thanksgiving at our home. I picked up two of those crock-pots that are a set of 3 with there on heating controls and the crocks lift out. Each is 2/1/2 quarts at Sam's. I am thinking this will be great to set up a buffet and keeps sides warm. This may be my life saver this year. I have to admit I am cheating this year with the Pillsbury pie crusts. Every corner we cut counts. My SIL birthday is the day after Thanksgiving and My MI-L's birthday is before Thanksgiving. I already have their birthday gifts and just finished the rest of my Christmas shopping.

I mailed out my side of the family's gifts on Monday. This much is out of the way. Since I will be out of town during Halloween I started taking my Halloween specific decorations today. This way when I get home I will already have them put away. I plan on putting my holiday lights on the house the weekend before Thanksgiving so, I can put the final touches on that afternoon and plug the lights in for all to enjoy. This combining Holidays and decorations is going to be a challenge but I think I can pull it off with a lot of planning and lists. :-)

I am off of here as I have some things to take out of the oven.

Terri

7a.

Re: Schools not noticing sick children/My Flu Experience

Posted by: "Marion Thornton" mthornton667@gmail.com   thorntonmarion74

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 am (PDT)



You know its so funny that I am reading all these notes. My daughters
school is sending notices out every other day, not letting any kid in with a
sniffle, fever or who has taken any medicine in the last 24 hours for a
fever. They are offering the H1N1, but the docs are only recommending it
for children and adults with other medical problems, for example Asthma. My
daughter did take the regular Flu mist...so far so good, knock on wood...

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM, wildirishrose01us <irishrose@fiber.net>wrote:

>
>
> I think the schools are so overwhelmed that they don't notice such things.
> My son is a teacher, and he is so overworked and underpaid that he can't
> keep an eye on the students health.
>

8.

Healthy Recipes for Kids

Posted by: "heatherclark.jp4me" heather@fruitnut.org   heatherclark.jp4me

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am (PDT)



With all the healthy eating we have been talking about, thought I would pass on something I saw in the Mind ware kids catalogue.

An Alphabet Recipe box for Kids
Comes with 26 (total) A-Z healthy recipes that kids can help make - kid friendly directions, and 26 blank recipe cards for you to add. Sounds great, wanted to share! Happy Shopping!

$16.95
www.mindware.com

9a.

Re: exhausted by trying to eat right

Posted by: "Mike Stark" mike@stark.co.za   planecrazy_sa

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:44 am (PDT)



Hi

This is my second posting (using my hubby's laptop) - Im starting
to get the hang of this.

Eating right is something that should be done over time - don't
completely stop eating all the stuff you are used to, and then
eat only salad. it wont work. Slowly change your eating habits
trying to move towards healthier food.

Im using software called Benutriwise that gives you all the info
about the foods, and then you can decide what to eat.

We are changing the way we eat as i have cholesterol high BP and
slightly high glucose.

Regards Charlotte

Christian08 Lady wrote:
my mother was telling me one day that her friend used to starve
herself too loose weight.. what happened then is her body went in
preservation mode and instead of getting ride of things in ur
waist u keep them for 'storag' the next time u dont eat.. so if u
go hungry ur body may be doing all it can to keep some 'fat' for
the next time so ull still have energy..
10a.

Re: Schools not  noticing sick children

Posted by: "Jackie Razzi" jackie0961@yahoo.com   jackie0961

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 am (PDT)



Hi Ruthee,
 
 I pray your daughter is feeling good these days, I wanted to thank you for the information on the flus.,thanks jackie

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, Ruthee Goldkorn <knowbarriers@yahoo.com> wrote:

We have a ridiculous amount of experience with flu like, actual flu and secondary upper respiratory experience and with her history, I have been watching, learning and reading very carefully about season flu and H1N1.
 
The difference between flu and H1N1, this has more pronounced symptoms and moves much more quickly from a small cough-cough and a sniffle to a high fever and big trouble.  Generally a flu fever will start at the 100 mark and not get beyond 102 and the coughing and nasal congestion will remain constant but a steady use of tissues and Tylenol for the pains and fever will do the trick.
 
With H1N1, the fever starts about the same but within a few short hours it is 102 and above and the congestion escalates just as quickly which is why immediate physician or PA care need be obtained well within the first 24 hours of extreme symptoms.
 
This thing moves into critical pneumonia faster than anyone expected which is where the deaths are coming from.  Healthy kids are the victims and adults with pre existing conditions are as well which is why the vaccine is geared to those groups initially.
Â

11a.

Re: Hi, I am new to the group

Posted by: "Alica Uhlir" theuhlirs@yahoo.com   theuhlirs

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am (PDT)



Hello from cold, North Dakota!  I have also been in the single mom shoes.  They are not easy.  I am also new to the group.  The updates are wonderful as well as the tools and ideas.  This is a wonderful place to air our frustrations or ask for mom to mom advice.  I too don't get online very often.  Welcome!

Alica

________________________________
From: "midnightstarlight99@yahoo.com" <midnightstarlight99@yahoo.com>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, October 27, 2009 10:50:13 AM
Subject: Re: [mompowergroup] Hi, I am new to the group

 
Hello from sunny California!

--- Original Message ---
From:"elegant09@ymail. com" <elegant09@ymail. com>
Sent:Tue 10/27/09 6:14 am
To:mompowergroup@ yahoogroups. com
Subj:[mompowergroup ] Hi, I am new to the group

Hi, I am new to the group. I am a single mom. I saw this group and thought it was a wonderful thing moms connecting to each other. I hope to visit you all more often but I work a lot and often doesn't sign online until late at night when my kid is asleep.

12.

exhausted by trying to eat right.. act like you have diabetes... rea

Posted by: "ArunKVir@aol.com" ArunKVir@aol.com   arunkvir

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 am (PDT)



Hey all, I am not diabetic, but had high cholesterol, and for the past 6
months have treated my eating AS IF I have diabetes. I have lost 25 pounds,
and I feel much better, I've just acted as though I cannot consume sugar
as much; I stopped all the soda, high carbs, such as potatoes, bread, rice
etc. Eating fish once a week, small portions, salads etc. And now am
running. Cholesterol is down.
There is sugar in everything we eat, and we don't really think about. I
think we all eat foods that we

~ Arun
13.

Halloween treats

Posted by: "Kirstie H" kirstie_mo@yahoo.com   kirstiehague

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 pm (PDT)



Looking for better options for Halloween treats? Why not offer animal crackers or special edition Halloween Quaker Chewy bars for a more wholesome treat?

Look for Fright Night Quaker Chewy bars which include orange, purple, and green candy pieces in fun Halloween shapes like bats and pumpkins and are the perfect mini-size for trick-or-treaters.

14.

swineflu update

Posted by: "Katalin Gÿffffe1l" galkatica@yahoo.com   galkatica

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:20 pm (PDT)



Ladies please I ask you respectfully and lovingly,why do you trust anyone so easily,I know not each of you does but i propose in general to REALLY use that power of heart-instinct i actually thought this group was about..and look behind the manipulation of mainstream media
> if you have 5mins and an open mind watch this for example:
http://www.youtube.com/v/2ysbUM5jk54 or just visit fluscam.com
really without prejudece,just to check things out to be able to say you have educated yourselves best u can.
~~~~~~~~~~Purest blessings,gentle smiles~~~~~~~~~~

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment