Friday, December 25, 2009

[mompowergroup] Digest Number 265

Messages In This Digest (6 Messages)

1.
Christmas story From: Lindsey Petersen
2a.
Re: puzzles From: Linda Roe
2b.
Re: puzzles From: zackandambersmom
3a.
Re: christmas From: Linda Roe
4a.
Hi everyone!! From: spidernkitty
4b.
Re: Hi everyone!! From: Kirstie H

Messages

1.

Christmas story

Posted by: "Lindsey Petersen" 5kidswdisabilities@gmail.com   fivekidswdisabilities

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:40 am (PST)



*Happy Holidays All! I wanted to share a Christmas story about one of my
five children, (taken from* http://5kidswdisabilities.wordpress.com)
*Lindsey Petersen*
**
*We adopted Dinora from Guatemala at the age of 6 weeks, and I was so
thrilled to have a daughter!!! She came with a variety of diseases common
in s 3**rd** World Country, scabies, intestinal parasites and malnutrition.
But we loved her and fed her and she blossomed into an adorable baby with
big black eyes and shiny black hair.*

* At the age of six months, it became apparent that Dinora was deaf.
She had not yet started to babble like other babies her age, but she also
did not turn to her name, or looked at the dog when she barked, or seem to
notice the footsteps of me coming into her bedroom. She would be laying
there awake when I walked in, (and, believe me, I am not light on my
fight.) When she finally would see me, she would startle. She had not
heard me. The day I knew it for sure was a day she was sitting next to me
on the floor while I was doing the dishes. I accidentally dropped a huge
lobster pot I was cleaning and it made a horrendous clang on the floor.
Dinora happily sat there playing, her back to the pan. She did not
startle. She did not cry. She did not hear it.*

* We then made the rounds of the doctors. She flunked regular hearing
tests, and had a brain stem evoked response test. Her brain did not respond
up to 90 decibels. The doctor informed me that she was severely hearing
impaired and that we would try hearing aids to maximize her hearing,
although they would not be strong enough for her to hear normally. They
took the impressions for her ear molds.*

* That evening, our family went for a pre-Christmas visit to a shrine
beautifully decorated with Christmas lights. I was feeling sorry for
myself. I had a two year old son who was legally blind, and now I had an
infant daughter who was deaf. *

* There was a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes surrounded by prayer water
and many large candles. There was also a large display of crutches and
wheelchairs of people who had been healed by her. I helped my son, Francis,
who was 2 1/2 years old, light a candle. Because it was almost Christmas,
and the only candles he had seen were on a birthday cake, he merrily sang
"Happy Birthday Dear Jesus". I remember saying a non-de-script prayer,
still upset that Dinora was deaf. I still thanked God, but was not quite
as enthusiastic as usual.*

* The next morning, the dog barked and Dinora woke up! I thought it
was a coincidence until I started to walk into her room and she turned to
smile at me. She had heard my footsteps! I started talking to her and she
started babbling back. Only a day earlier she had been fitted with ear
molds for hearing aids! I excitedly called the doctor, who agreed to see
her that day. Her hearing was tested and it was normal! Neither I nor the
doctor could believe it. He said in his 29 years as an ear doctor he had
never seen anything like it. He told me that it had to be an "Christmas
miracle from Above". The visit the night before to the shrine came to
mind. A miracle HAD occurred, and I was embarrassed because I had not
thanked God more enthusiastically the night before. He had granted me a
miracle even though I did not ask for one.*

* Dinora is now 25 years old and has had perfect hearing ever since
that day!*
2a.

Re: puzzles

Posted by: "Linda Roe" icecream52765@yahoo.com   icecream52765

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:41 am (PST)



My three,who are grown with kids of there own started doing puzzles at the age of 2.  I still like to do puzzles, even the ones where alot of the pieces are about the same color,I like a challenge!
Merry Christmas to all. 

________________________________
From: Lisa Stock <lisadavidstock@sbcglobal.net>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 12:29:50 PM
Subject: Re: [mompowergroup] puzzles

 
Hi,
All three of my kids loved doing puzzles since they were little, increases there fine motor skills. i have a son who has PDD - persuasive personality disorder, he is 12, and loves to work with his hands. but my kids can put together a 500 to 1000 piece puzzles within a week. Oh ages are 12, 10, and 7. So, if someone wants to buy a gift for any of my kids, I always tell them, to
buy them a puzzle, I am looking forward for winter break, so we can do so puzzles.
Happy Holidays!
Lisa
sheboygan, Wi

--- On Sun, 12/20/09, Holy Setyowati <ih2601us@yahoo. com> wrote:

First, I taught her to differentiate the edge and the inner part. I asked her to match the color, first we start with the edge. After that, I will give her one piece and try to guide her to find the matching color between her piece and the one on the puzzle. I repeat it until it's finish. By doing it... it's difficult at the first time, but as we practice,... she can memorize it easily... trust me....

2b.

Re: puzzles

Posted by: "zackandambersmom" rachelle@cox.net   zackandambersmom

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:43 am (PST)




I think puzzles are the best"learning toy" for young kids. It really
helps their spacial perception. I like the wooden type puzzles, where
each part or each thing is a separate piece. The puzzles for the
younger kids usually have knobs for younger less coordinated fingers.
Search for kidpuzzles (one word) or "every buddies puzzles" for a great
place to find some handcrafted puzzles. I used to pick these up at our
seasonal craft fairs for my kids. They also have replacement pieces
available.

Another great spacial perception game is Set. It's a card game. I've
seen it for about 12 bucks at Target, Toys R Us and game stores. If
your child can count to 3 (and the adult can teach the child how to
play), s/he can play this game. I suggest that the parents go to the
website or download it on their mobile phone and learn how to play
first. Kids' brains are more geared for this type of game than adults
so once the kid gets it, they'll likely start beating his/her parents.
This is one of my favorite gifts.

Happy holidays.

Rachelle

-- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com, Sarika Bhat <sarika8282@...> wrote:
>
> i have a daughter who will be 3 in february and we have started doing
some 24 piece puzzles. she likes to do them as long as i'm right in
front of her telling her exactly where the pieces go! or she'll take a
50 piece puzzle and ask me to do the whole thing whiel she watches me.
i was just wondering if your kids do puzzles, and at what age do they
start doing them independently? thanks!!
>

3a.

Re: christmas

Posted by: "Linda Roe" icecream52765@yahoo.com   icecream52765

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:41 am (PST)



Karen,
We had always let our kids open 1 present on Christmas Eve.  I remember the year that one of them thought they were opening a toy and it ended being something to wear and wanted to open another one.  But we stood our ground and made them wait until the next morning.  How I miss those times.  Now they have families of their own and they spend Christmas Eve at their spouses families so the kids get to open gifts from that side. This year is the year everyone(except those from NY)  comes to our house on Christmas day weather permitting.Linda

________________________________
From: Frank <fschoch@ymail.com>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, December 23, 2009 6:33:30 AM
Subject: [mompowergroup] christmas

 
Good morning ladies, its Karen. So who is ready for the big day? I thought I was going to be but of course I'm not. the crazyness of shopping.still got a few things to get. So how do you all do it with small children? Do you open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, or do you wait for Christmas morning? When I was a kid my family would allow all of the kids to open 1 gift Christmas Eve, then we had to wait for the rest in the morning. It was nice something to look forward to, going to my aunts house to open that 1 gift after dinner.So I was just wondering how everyone does it. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
Karen

4a.

Hi everyone!!

Posted by: "spidernkitty" bac_money@yahoo.com   spidernkitty

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:43 am (PST)



Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Kathy and I am new to this group. I am a SAHM with 2 little girls, Nicollette just turned 4 in November and Kaitlynn is 2 and a half. I go to school at night and Saturday at TCC Northeast Campus. I have only 4 classes left for my AA in Business. I would love to meet up with local mommies maybe for a playdate or just ladies night out. Let me know.

Thanks,
Kathy

4b.

Re: Hi everyone!!

Posted by: "Kirstie H" kirstie_mo@yahoo.com   kirstiehague

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 am (PST)



Welcome to our group! This is a large, international group, so if you're looking to connect with someone locally, you need to at least let us know where you are.

Happy Holidays,
kirstie
Moderator, Mom Power Group

--- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com, "spidernkitty" <bac_money@...> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon everyone,
>
> My name is Kathy and I am new to this group. I am a SAHM with 2 little girls, Nicollette just turned 4 in November and Kaitlynn is 2 and a half. I go to school at night and Saturday at TCC Northeast Campus. I have only 4 classes left for my AA in Business. I would love to meet up with local mommies maybe for a playdate or just ladies night out. Let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Celebrity kids

and families

Surviving in

the spotlight

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

Y! Groups blog

the best source

for the latest

scoop on Groups.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment