Saturday, April 30, 2011

Re: [Everything doTERRA] post labor...bleeding and fundal checks

I had my last 3 babies with midwives.  They gave me homeopathic arnica tablets under my tonuge during labor and after the birth.  I had no after birth pains at all.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Leah Spencer" <chrisandleahdoterra@gmail.com>
To: everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:46:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Everything doTERRA] post labor...bleeding and fundal checks

I'm going to reply with what I've gleaned over the years and my personal experience... but it's just that, personal experience and one size doesn't fit all. Here's what I would be doing in your situation:
 
I think it's unneccessary to massage the uterus to such intense levels. Some people would even consider it a form of birth rape. (Here's a midwife's link: http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespace.com/navelgazing-midwife-blog/2011/4/13/birth-abuse.html And it's about 1/3rd down her post, it's very long.) I personally had a midwife with a homebirth and she just told me to feel for my uterus and gently massage it to make sure it was the size of a grapefruit or orange. I took my time, gently probing until I found it and pretty much pushing around to make sure it wasn't too big. There's no need to be agressive. Perhaps some clary sage essential oil on your tummy to help tighten the uterus.
 
For post labor bleeding, I would be chugging liquid chlorophyll to replace the blood loss. http://www.momessentials.net/pregnancy-nutrition/ I hope your iron levels are decent too. According to the Modern Essentials book, helichrysum will help with the bleeding.
 
Something that I've read that can help with after pains is to go to the bathroom each time before you nurse your baby. What about some relaxing oils? Balance, serenity, lavender... I'm sure others could suggest more.
 
I think it's important to remember that this is your body, your baby. You have the right to say no, stop, don't. I had a retained placenta, and as my midwife tried to work it out, I had to tell her to stop, it was painful. She completely respected my feelings and worked to find a different angle or position to remove the placenta. You need to be in charge, or need somebody (your husband? a good friend?) who will stand by what YOU want and not let doctors and nurses basically say (with their actions) "too bad! This is how I do it."
 
Leah


 
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM, srsioajn <srsioajn@gmail.com> wrote:
So I'm new, and 38 weeks pregnant.  My most negative experience with
my last baby was the fundal checks and massage.  This is my 6th baby,
and I was told last time that after this many it's harder for the
uterus to get back to size....higher risk for blood clots and
hemorrhaging.  Thus, excruciating fundal massage....kneading to the
spine.

I was wondering what I might try that would help alleviate "after
pains" in general.  Also, post labor bleeding.  Maybe that would
lessen the need for hospital staff to do so much of this fundal
massage stuff?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Everything doTERRA" group.
To post to this group, send email to everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
everythingdoterra+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://www.everythingdoterra.com

No comments:

Post a Comment