Friday, January 27, 2012

[Everything doTERRA] Re: BiPolar/ADD

Charly,

Thank you for sharing and it provides much needed perspective that is
grounded.
I will share your story as it is a much needed perspective to my
story.
I will also continue to also emphasize the importance of medication
and to take extreme caution.
I am reminded that there was a time, where there was no talking sense
to me and medication did provide effective treatment and also the
first time I stopped, I was in the worst position I have ever been in
my life.

I see the love you have for your children.

When you speak about your son, I am reminded of my mother who was very
kind for most of the time. There was a period of time when I was 8 and
my brother was 3 where we were placed in the care of my aunt at times
because my mother was uncontrollable, violent, hospitalized, and could
not sleep for a month straight. According to my father, it seemed
there was no end to her torment. As a child I was terrified. I once
saw her on the railing of our 10th story condo saying she is going to
jump. This went on and fortunately, my father self-employed stayed
with her all the way through. How would she recover? They desperately
sought answers. My father explained it was on Christmas morning that
she just woke up one morning and said she was fine. It was a miracle.
Since that time My brother and I lived with my parents permanently and
got to know her as the loving mother who she was. I know this may not
offer much of solution but perhaps hope.

I don't speak much about my mother and oils because she passed away in
2001 as cancer has spread through her body. She also struggled with
hormonal issues such as hyperthyroidism. I do know that the oils would
have helped her quality of life in some way.

Thank you for sharing how the views of a bipolar patient may be
skewed.
I once shared the same view as your older daughter, which proved to be
very dangerous.
My argument was similar, I lived in a way that people would dream of
living life at another level without the use of drugs. I argued that I
was made me that way. It wasn't until I became a slave to my emotions
rather be in control.

I ran on empty at times, worked full hours, operating a retail
business with 5 employees and staying out in the wee hours of the
night only to do that again the next day. Working hard and playing
hard.
Till it became unbearable. It was the most hopeless I've ever been and
I felt as if I mind was not functioning as it should.

It wasn't until now that I have accepted that there is a physiological
difference in how my body is.
When I was a 17-19, it made me sad to think I couldn't do things that
and why should I take care of myself. Am I not healthy? In all other
aspects of health, I was in good shape.
It took me a lot of growing up to realize the flaws in my thought
process.
The question I had to ask myself was, "How am I going to raise my
family or raise my children at this capacity?"
That stuck in the back of my head as I searched for answers and
continue to look for different perspectives.

Traveling to countries such as Philippines, Micronesia (Chuuk), S.
Korea, Hong Kong has broadened my horizons.
I have asked myself, how do people in a developing economy such as the
provinces of the Philippines or the islands of Chuuk handle this type
of genetic predisposition?
What does Traditional Chinese Medicine in it's understanding of body
and mind see emotional cycling?

My journey let me see business seminars that know there are issues
with people.
They posed the concept, that issues in the past may manifest in the
future because they are lodged deep in your subconscious. I saw people
who sabotaged their success or relationships and have kept so much
inside for 50 or 60 years.

I was so bent on getting the answers that I would get on a plane to
fly to another island to see a Pastor at a church to provide a new
perspective.

I even thought I would find answers to health in Western Medicine as I
pursued a major in Biochemistry at the University of the Pacific
(Stockton, CA - known for leading pharmacology programs).
I took a course in the History of Medicine by Professor Ken Abala that
I took at the After an in depth overview medicine of what it was to
where it is today. It made me understand that we are constantly
looking for the answers and sometimes our ancestors through perhaps
divine wisdom had a better understanding of medicine than we do today.
For example, just over a decade ago the appendix was thought to be a
vestigial organ (based on evolutionary theory). Today we are finding
that it serves a purpose. Even today we are not even at the tip of
understanding (also why Essential Oils are effective yet have 100
unidentified consitutents and caus of mechanism or how they work
synergistically)

Western Medicine has advantages such as Surgery, Germ Theory, and
Diagnosis
We still have a long ways to go.

I agree with your decision to keep utilizing the medication with great
risk assessment and sound judgement.
I also encourage you to continue the search you started to find the
answers.

I offer my prayers for you and your family.
Take care and God bless.

-Holan


On Jan 26, 6:31 am, Charly Risenmay <doterrasananto...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The discussion on this has been great.  And I really, REALLY
> appreciate Holan's e-mail. I find myself reaching out more and more to
> those who are dealing with this as my son grows older.
>
> I did want to make two things clear, which I think is illustrated very
> well by Holan.  First, like anything else, you have to take
> responsibility for your own health. Unfortunately, there are times
> where an individual is either not able to, or doesn't realize they
> need to.  In my case, my son is neither intellectually capable nor old
> enough to understand and take responsibility for his health.  It would
> therefore be grossly negligent for me to ignore this and not provide
> medications for him.  As I mentioned before, for those who are bipolar
> (and competently diagnosed as such) the suicide rate is very, very
> high among teenagers and high among adults.  I hope no one will be
> offended when I state again, that unless an individual is able to
> understand and take complete responsibility for their health, it is
> important we take the resources that are available to us and utilize
> them.  And in our case, oils are not enough.  We are at the point
> where he either takes the medications that he is on (and there are
> many heavy hitters) along with the oils, or he will be
> institutionalized.  My son is 12 and by age 10, we had lost count of
> how many times he had been hospitalized in psychiatric wards. We had
> been advised to permanently institutionalize him.  I am not very good
> at listening sometimes, and I refused.  The oils have given us a new
> lease on his life at home.  I do not know how long this period will
> last or if it will last, but I am taking advantage of every minute my
> son is our home.
>
> The second point I want to make, again impacts medication.  Like
> anything else, there are varying degrees in severity of the disease.
> My son is severe and along with that, he has a diagnosis of Bipolar
> with severe psychosis.  When he is not on meds, he sees and hears
> things that literally make him incapable of being more than three or
> four feet from me at all times. He cannot go to the bathroom, to bed,
> even across a room due to the paralyzing fear of what he is seeing and
> hearing.  At the same time, he is extremely violent and has hurt me
> severely at times.
>
> My point is not to bash on my son or to make a statement one way or
> the other about me.  My point is that there are those who are reading
> who might need to understand that the oils are a HUGE help.  They have
> changed our lives and our ability to have our son home--he is maxed
> out on adult doses of medications, many which are heavy hitters, and
> he was getting worse.  Diet changes have also helped. But these are
> helps and will not protect my son nor take the place of medications.
> In some cases, I believe that we just need to understand that
> medications have their place. And the risks of not taking them are
> simply too high for me to take a chance.  So I offer a little bit of a
> caution. Please, please be careful.  Please understand and use wisdom.
>  Do use the oils.  Do change your diet. Do exercise and Holan has
> provided an exceptional life guide.  But be smart, too--the risks are
> extremely high with this particular disease for those who suffer from
> it.  My children are adopted and its like playing genetic
> roulette--you never know who will get what.  We don't always know what
> is happening inside another person.
>
> I remember one day my daughter, who has a much more mild case.  She
> told me "why would I want to regulate and medicate myself?  I get high
> off my own body chemistry."  It offered a reminder that at times the
> thought processes of patients with bipolar are not clear and linear.
> Just my two cents and worth what you are paying for it.
>
> Charly
>
> --
> doTERRA Independent Product Consultant
> IPC # 90467
> (830) 388-9869

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Everything doTERRA" group.
To post to this group, send email to everythingdoterra@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
everythingdoterra+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://www.everythingdoterra.com

No comments:

Post a Comment