Thursday, January 7, 2010

[mompowergroup] Digest Number 277

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Joy Pickens" lilyklink@yahoo.com   lilyklink

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:36 am (PST)



I am not really on top of things but the book S. H. E., side tracked home executives helped of to at least have a path to shoot for. Joy in OK

On Mon Jan 4th, 2010 7:57 PM CST frendsrfun wrote:

>I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
>Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
>I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
>Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
>I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
>Any and all input is welcome.
>Thanks
>

1b.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Cynthia Murdaugh" cmurdaugh03@yahoo.com   cmurdaugh03

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:39 am (PST)



Have a time schedule....start the New Year off with a calendar...plan things per day as many thinds as you would like to get accomplished in a day...but don't over do it. Try this and let me know how it goes the first week. By the way I have my own business, maybe i could help you get your books in order.
 
Cynthia Murdaugh

(Moderator's note - please add your business info to our mom's dataabase: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mompowergroup/database since we don't allow advertising in messages - thanks!)
________________________________
From: frendsrfun <cndhop@verizon.net>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 8:57:50 PM
Subject: [mompowergroup] How do YOU manage a home and fam....

 
I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
Any and all input is welcome.
Thanks

1c.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Hannah" orangeflowerwater@yahoo.com   orangeflowerwater

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:39 am (PST)



HI!

Paperwork is DEFINITELY an issue in our house! I am in charge of organizing our office bills and such but it seems I find myself behind the curve TOO OFTEN. Still, some strategies that work (as long as I remember them!):

When you collect the mail you want to touch each piece as few times as possible. It doesn't make sense to bring it in, sort it out, and deal with it later. Bring it in and stand over the trash and throw out junk mail right then. No giving it space in your house, no giving junk mail extra hard-to-find time. The rest take out of the envelopes, throw them away then. These two steps should eliminate most of the head aches around mail. I have an IN box and OUT box on my desk. All the mail I have to address goes into one of those boxes if I can't deal with it right away. The catch? After the kids go down for the evening, you have to address everything in your IN box.

Alot can be done after the kids go to sleep. I try and clean both the kitchen and the bathroom. If not a thorough cleaning, then a quick once over works just as well. Clean the sink so your kitchen smells good in the morning.

I do 2 loads of laundry each day (I use cloth diapers). As long as I stay on that schedule, I'm golden. I finally figured out that I don't HAVE to fold it all at once. That takes time, and I never have that much consecutive time. Also, if I give my daughter some items to 'help' mommy fold, it buys me a bit more time.

In fact: my daughter has her own set of dishes to 'wash' while I do the dishes and tidy up the kitchen, she has her dust pan and broom to 'help' mommy sweep, she loves to 'help' dust with a wash cloth. My husband usually cooks dinner so I try to have the kitchen clean by the time he comes home, but honestly the kitchen is often a mess for most of the day.

The rest of the house gets a cursory once over to prevent clutter build up and it doesn't get really cleaned until the weekend when the parents can switch off on the child care. And we keep cleaning time on the weekend to a minimum so we can actually enjoy some family time together.

I hope this helps.

Hannah

Love & Laughter

________________________________
From: frendsrfun <cndhop@verizon.net>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 5:57:50 PM
Subject: [mompowergroup] How do YOU manage a home and fam....

I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
Any and all input is welcome.
Thanks

1d.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Carrie Schillinger" carrieschillinger@yahoo.com   carrieschillinger

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:41 am (PST)



 
What I do is get the  family involved if all the household chores can't get done.  If you have kids that are old enough, get them involved.  Even kids at 7 can do simple chores, such as pick up around the house.  They sometimes even enjoy doing it, because they feel that they are helping out and getting some form of attention from you. 
 
Sit down and make a list of all the chores that need to get done around the house.  Then breakdown those chores into what needs to be done everyday, 3 times a week, once a week and then once a month.  Then set a time limit on how long it would take to get those chores done.   Then assign those chores to a day and convenient time of the day to get it done.  If you find a day that you know that it can't seem to get done, delegate it to another family member.  Your kids should get in on this.  Your husband should also be in the mix of this.  I don't know how old your children are, but even a child as young as 7 can get involved.  You can supervise them the first couple of times and then when you feel comfortable let them do it on their own. 
 
Don't let the husband get away with sitting on the couch either.  If you feel his heels dragging on doing something.  Do it together the first couple of times, so that he doesn't feel that he's getting dumped on.  Then after that you should be able to make an excuse to get out of helping him and start doing something else.  It's all a little psycological game.  You will have to be consistent on both you kids and your husband, but as time goes by, you probably be very surprised at what you can get help with around the house. 
 
Also, you said you hate the paperwork and put it off until it seems to overwhelm you.  Worst possile thing to do.  Do the things that you hate doing out of the way first.  Once that is done, the rest of the day can only get better.  Schedule a time in your day that is all you do is your paperwork.  Nothing else matters at that time of day but getting your paperwork done.  If you don't put it off, then it doesn't build up and then you'll find it less of a burden to you.  Don't make it so that it all piles on you on one day so that you feel overwhelmed.  If you have kids in school, you should know that kids get frustrated when they let their homework go until the last day and start whining and complaining that  they can't get it done.  It will take time to tweak this scheule, but once everything falls in place, I think you will find a happier place for yourself.
 
P.S.  Don't sweat the small stuff, tomorrow is another day to get it right.
 
Carrie

From: frendsrfun <cndhop@verizon.net>
Subject: [mompowergroup] How do YOU manage a home and fam....
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 1:57 AM

 

I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
Any and all input is welcome.
Thanks

1e.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Mary Ann McDowell" mcdowell_maryann@yahoo.com   mcdowell_maryann

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:43 am (PST)



You say you set a timer for cleaning your kitchen - have you heard of FLY Lady? If you go to flylady.net, you will find some good ideas - they have worked for me!! (and I'm still in need of more help, but slowly. . . .)

Good Luck,

Mary Ann

________________________________
From: frendsrfun <cndhop@verizon.net>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 8:57:50 PM
Subject: [mompowergroup] How do YOU manage a home and fam....

I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
Any and all input is welcome.
Thanks

__________________________________________________________
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com
1f.

Re: How do YOU manage a home and fam....

Posted by: "Laurie" LLeeLev64@aim.com   llleverington

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:45 am (PST)



Hey there! I am also a busy mom of a 17-yr old (who isn't driving yet), with a full-time job that usually is 9-10 hr days, involved in some church activities, plus building my own home business on the side. So I totally understand your situation!

I have found that just a simple prayer in the morning asking for a little guidance throughout my day really helps. Something about knowing God has a hand in how my day will go just helps me remain calm amidst the chaos! :-)

Activities I do that help maintain a semblance of organization (although sometimes I still find myself feeling overwhelmed at times), at least where business records go: I keep an expandable "accordion" style folder, with pockets labeled to match the expense item/categories that are listed on the tax return forms. For example, "office supplies", "utilities", "equipment", etc. In addition, I have a slot labeled "bank" (for statements, interest forms, etc.) and "auto" (for any repair/maintenance receipts), and "charity/donations". Then as the year progresses, I just drop the receipts/bills as I get them, into their appropriate category slots. The expandable folder is portable, so if I go out of town for business, it can travel along, and be right beside me. I don't necessarily keep all the stuff recorded throughout the year in a spreadsheet or anything (although I tried my first year I started my business), but at least at the end of the year, having all the receipts in one place, and organized by category, makes it much easier at tax time.

As for the other household activities, I keep a little notebook handy (because I am horrible for remembering all those little things I keep meaning to do). Whenever I see something, or think of something, that I need to get done, I write it in the notebook. There are 2 columns on the page... left side is "have to do today" type things, and right side is "when I get some spare time" type things. As I clear up the "today" items, I start a new page the next day, and just transfer any "spare time" items to the new page. This not only helps me make sure to get the urgent daily items taken care of, but also gives me a list to look at whenever I find myself with some unexpected free time and I'm wondering what to do.

Hope this helps!

Laurie Leverington

--- In mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frendsrfun" <cndhop@...> wrote:
>
> I am on a mission to be a better manager of my time/home and fam.
> Paperwork is always an issue. My floors are cleared and things aren't totally out of control.
> I just don't seem to know what to do when i have time to do it.
> Today I set a timer and cleaned the kitchen.... very satisfying.
> I have my own business and dread going through allllllllll the receipts to record them since I don't do it all year.
> Any and all input is welcome.
> Thanks
>

2a.

Re: HELLO!

Posted by: "renuka rajan" bk_renukarajan@yahoo.com   bk_renukarajan

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:42 am (PST)



Happy New Year to all of you too. Thank you
Best rgds
renuka malaysia

ps will not be available for the next two weeks. All the best to you all God bless you

________________________________
From: che <che4jc@yahoo.ca>
To: mompowergroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2010 13:20:39
Subject: [mompowergroup] HELLO!

 
 HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MOMS OUT THERE!
 
 

Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!
http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Cat Owners Group

Join a community

for cat lovers

Group Charity

Citizen Schools

Best after school

program in the US

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment