Sunday, January 17, 2010

[Everything doTERRA] Re: Dog Nasal Infection

I agree with you, Pat. The oils are so pure it might not be a problem,
but Im always cautious with the super-noses! I am attatching the info
you guys requested. My dog Willow is obsessed with Frankincense and
Balance!

Here is what I sent to your friend, Brooke...
I have a nice EO recipe for congestion and colds in dogs from my
"Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals" book. Mix up the following blend
and you can use it in the following ways: several drops can be
massaged into your dog's fur on the neck and chest, place on a
bandanna or add to his bedding. You can bring him into the bathroom
and place 6-10 drops onto the floor of the shower for vaporization and
steam. Spend 10 minutes in there.

1/2 oz (15 ml) base oil (hazelnut, fractioned coconut or other)

5 drops eucalyptus

5 drops Myrrh

And feel free to add frankincense to this mix, or lavender. I think
the lavender would help with the reverse sneezing. If you have a
doTERRA diffuser (highly recommend it!) you should leave the base oil
out of the mix and diffuse this for 5 min at a time several times a
day. I am also attatching a little info on how to use oils with dogs.

Here is the info I typed up earlier for dogs and EO's:
Here are some important things to remember when you intend to use
essential oils on your dog.
• Dog's sense of smell is extremely sensitive. Do not apply the oils
directly on or around your dog's nose or eyes. What smells good to you
may be very irritating to your dog, especially if he cannot escape the
smell. Try the bottoms of the paws (between the pads) or the ear flap
or back of the neck.
• Be cautious about using stimulant-type oils with your dog if she is
pregnant, ill or epileptic. Research your oil for possible side
effects before you use it.
• Always dilute your oils and start with the smallest dose possible
until you know how your dog will react. Test the oil by holding the
bottle out for him and see his reaction. Let your dog decide if he
wants the oil! My dog Willow runs to me when I use Balance and
Frankincense and I always share with her.

The book, Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals, by Kristen Leigh Bell,
has the 20 best and worst oils for dogs. A few examples include:
Best: Lavender, Geranium, Basil, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Eucalyptus
and Frankincense.
Worst: Cassia, Oregano, Birch, Camphor and Wintergreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment